Thursday, January 17, 2008

My Travelling Star --- James Taylor

A couple of major trips planned for the upcoming year including three weddings, a girlfriends-trip to Vegas, a stop in the NYC among other misadventures in lands far and near. The first wedding (in order of occurrence and not necessarily importance, even though it is pretty huge) is the wedding of my darling Dee’s big sister. Now, weddings are always (well, usually) wonderfully joyous occasions but this one is especially so because I haven’t seen my friend in -- what is it – maybe two and a half years now since she shipped off back to Lagos and decided never to return to me. We’ve been very close for the last nine years almost so when I heard she was States-bound, I had to make myself abundantly available, even if it does mean going to A-town for a weekend.

Second wedding would the nuptials of good childhood friend from waaaay back in the day – we probably all started going to the same church something in the neighbourhood of thirteen years ago, and now the kid done gone and got himself engaged to a chick whom I can only assume from word of mouth is deserving of the wonderfulness that is M. If they’ll have us, a bunch of us are planning on heading north to represent Mama Naija well well (grab your gele and asoebi o!). The wedding is supposed to take place somewhere in New England and Lord knows I’ve literally have been waiting since childhood to see parts of New England in the summer (weekend on the Vineyard, anyone?) so it’ll be fantastic for multiple reasons in the event that it comes to fruition.

Third up is my big sister’s wedding in Leeds. A little bit of a hike, I know, but how many times does one of your best friends get married, ey? (Well, in this case, it’s twice but everyone knows that registrar mess doesn’t count). There’s all kinds of visa things and money things and time-off-work things to figure out but I get to be a bridesmaid and people don’t make that mistake too many times, so I’ll be taking full advantage. Drama is anticipated but this is the case with any gathering of my family (and I’m sure yours too, yes?) so I shan’t complain.

And finally, the trip to Vegas. I am excited to bursting. I booked us into the Tuscany Suites which is, as the name might imply, a hotel made up entirely of suites. It’s a ten minute walk off the strip (a block and a half away from the Belagio) and supposedly safer and quieter than living on the Strip proper. It’ll be Labor Day weekend so everyone’ll be in town (including the four or five of my girls that are heading out there) and I intend to party like it’s, well, 2008.

So that’s it for the roaming about for the year – I’ll fill you in on how many of these trips actually end up taking (given my track record, I figure I’ve done well if I hit 75%). Oh, something interesting I ought to mention while I’m blogging. So I spoke to the Older Guy yesterday and will be having dinner with him and his son next week – YIKES! Definitely more than a little apprehensive about that as I’m much better with grown folk than with people my age – the 20-somethings are so jaded and unflappable! I shall blog about developments as they occur. Good night my loves!

What I’m Listening to Now:
“How’s the World Treating You” – Allison Krauss & James Taylor

(The perfect combination of my favorite male and female vocalist, the song is delivered like a classic country-pop ballad about lost love but with soul. Wouldn’t expect any less than sheer perfection from these two)

1 comment:

HoneyBeeInDC said...

UPDATE ALREADY!!!

- Emine