Sunday, February 17, 2008

I've Got the World on a String -- Frank Sinatra

Well hello! How was your weekend??? Mine was fabulous, thanks for asking. After work Friday, I finally got to hang out with my buddy who I haven't seen in a hot minute. My house has seen her, because she's often over at my place while I'm slaving away at my desk, but not I! We went to get Jamaican food -- in our pajamas. Can't beat some steaming curry chicken and rice with a nice, cold Apple Everfresh! And then we watched Lipstick Jungle, which is my latest guilty pleasure (I'm planning to marry Andrew McCarthy in my mind). Watched half an episode of Gilmore Girls before I passed out on my couch (my ABSOLUTE favorite thing to do on a Friday night) .

Saturday was spent largely on the phone and on Skype, catching up with Oh (my favorite thing to do on a Saturday afternoon!) and thinking of all the things I should have been doing but i was unable to do because I couldn't move from my computer. After about 3 hours with Oh, I moved on to four hours with Toy, which was an extremely productive conversation that left me feeling a lot more positive and excited about the upcoming year. That's why she's my second half, isn't it? More on that at another date. More Gilmore Girls and more phone-time with my boobie and then it was bedtime at about 230am.

Got up early Sunday with a mind for SHOPPING! Headed into the city and did some damage to my financial health. Got my makeup done (my favorite thing to do any day of my life), bought a pair of sexy-ass boots which will be making their grand debut sometime this week, a couple sweaters and then spent some quality time in West Elm being inspired. I can't wait till I get my home to where I want it to be. My little port in the storm. My little hole in the world. My precious little underground bunker. Soon.

Got home a while ago and have been listening to John Coltrane, Ella Fitzgerald, Etta James, my beloved Dinah Washington and a little Nina Simone ever since. Boy, they don't make it like they used to. How can i be nostalgic for a time when i didn't even exist? I can't describe the way i feel when i listen to this music -- there is something so warm and rich and full and sincere and raw about it that seems to be largely absent in music today. Listen to Coltrane's "My One and Only Love" and tell me you don't want to fall in love with someone -- anyone! -- on the spot. Tell me Nina Simone's "Here Comes the Sun" doesn't make you tear up inspite of yourself. Or listen to Dinah Washington's "Teach Me Tonight" and tell me that isn't the most subtly sexy song you've heard in a loooong time. "One for my Baby" by Ol/ Blue Eyes, anything by Nat King Cole, In short, I'll just take a second to thank George and Ira Gershwin and give props to Cole Porter, Irving Berlin and all their contemporaries for their brilliant words and compositions, without which my life would be infintely less interesting. And thanks to my momma for teaching me, in addition to all the other wonderful things that she did, to listen outside my box.

Work tomorrow. Back to reality.

What I'm Listening to Now: The entire friggin' Great American Songbook. To me, without a doubt, 1`the best pop songs ever written. Absolutely timeless. Currently jamming to Diana Krall's take on "Fly Me to the Moon" though. Astrud Gilberto also does a worthy rendition. But you can't beat Mr Sinatra. Ever.

No comments: